Should it stay or should it go?

Other than Saturday's missing post, you probably didn't notice I took a blog vacation. It was great. But onto the important discussions.

My mother and I discussed my curating closet rules and regulations this weekend. On the one hand, "one in, one out" seems like a good policy that would fall under the greater umbrella of curating my closet. Afterall, it would make sense, given the conversation stemmed from my assertion that I purchased a pair of black leather flats since my last pair were looking beat up - but no, my last pair wouldn't be featured on my Monday "give aways."

Here are my criteria for getting rid of clothing
1. It's in poor condition
2. It's inappropriate for my current stage of life
3. It does not fit, and cannot reasonably be assumed to fit, or altered to fit in the near future
4. It fails to work with the rest of my wardrobe

So said black flats? They may not be in good enough condition to wear to the office, but they still work within my casual wardrobe. And that is why I don't do a "one in, one out" policy, but rather a "one a week". Plus, since I don't shop on a weekly basis, I will still come out, at the end of the year, with fewer pieces in my closet than when I started!

This week's "out" item

Black Denim Skirt

Why did I buy it?
With a gym membership in hand, I gained a huge amount of confidence, and so my skirt hems jumped up a few inches. I tried one summer to wear it without tights under it, but it was quickly relegated to "let's cover up the legs" territory. 

Why did it work? 
I firmly believe that if you got it, flaunt it (in the appropriate places and the appropriate times)

Why didn't it work?
I'm not 16 any more. In fact, I wasn't at the time (I may have been 23). However, I feel that it's the time in my life where a raw edged black denim that barely covers my tushy may not be entirely appropriate, or, at least, comfortable. 

How did I wear it?

What will happen to it?
Off to the thrift store

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Business casual service. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Big Homes.